Re: short Botnet list and Cashing in on DoS

  • From: Mark Andrews
  • Date: Sun Oct 10 03:26:49 2004

In article <[email protected]> you write:

>> Next you'll block SIP if we start getting "spam calls"? Or any other
>> application that pops up and is used by the same people sending spam today?
>
>There is the issue of usability. Why does a Cable user on a dynamic
>range need SMTP open?

	Cable modem users don't need the IPS's servers for outgoing
	email.  They have the "always on" connection needed to
	reliably deliver email.  The only reason email went via
	ISP's servers back in the dialup days was to get reliable
	delivery.

	In the US there is even more insentive to bypass the ISP's
	servers.  Look are the way they have interpreted the wire
	tap laws.

	Sane end users would also be configuring there systems to
	detect interception of email.  Crypto was added to SMTP
	for a reason.  ISP's shouldn't be getting in the way of
	using it.

	Mark