Re: Blackhole Routes

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Sep 30 16:24:32 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 08:03:05PM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> we can handle most DoS's ourselves, this is the case with a lot/most? upstreams,
> we dont automatically forward blackholes upstream
>
> the only time anyone would need to do that is if a particular upstream's
> connection was saturated with the DoS.
>
> i'd agree automatically propogating these isnt good practice.. (imho)

I'd have to disagree with you. While you and many other networks may be
able to handle most DoS attacks without involving your upstreams, there
are still plenty (the majority I would say) of networks who can't. In
fact, the entire CONCEPT of a blackhole customer community is to move the
filtering up one level higher on the Internet, where it should
theoretically be easier for the larger network to filter. It would be
silly to assume that there is no attack which the person implementing the
blackhole community can not handle, or to assume that there will never be
tier 2/3 ISPs aggregating or reselling bandwidth.

Also, since the point of a blackhole community is to block all traffic to
a destination prefix anyways, it doesn't matter whether the blackhole
takes place 1 network upstream or 10. Any prefix which can be announced
and routed on the global routing table should be able to be blackholed by
every network on the global Internet, using a standard well-known
community. This changes nothing of the current practices of accountability
for your announcements, filtering by prefix length, etc. There would still
remain a clear role for no-export and more specifics upto /32 between
networks who have negotiated this relationship, but there absolutely no
reason you couldn't and shouldn't have global blackholes available as
well.