Re: Blackhole Routes

  • From: Wayne E. Bouchard
  • Date: Thu Sep 30 14:46:11 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 02:15:49PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:
> >It goes a little further than that these days. Folks are openly
> >allowing customers to advertize routes with something lika a 666
> >community which will then be blackholed within their network. So if
> >you're a service provider with your own blackhole system, you can
> >easily tie it into your upstream's system and dump the traffic many
> >hops away from you meaning that the traffic is getting dumped closer
> >to the source than the destination in a fair number of cases.
> >

> This is very dangerous however.....
>
> If providers start tying their customer's blackhole announcements to the
> provider's upstreams' blackhole announcements in an AUTOMATIC process,
> bad things <tm> are likely to happen. What happens when a customer of a
> provider mistakenly advertises more routes than he should [lets say
> specifics in case #1] you can flood your upstreams' routers with
> specifics and potentially cause flapping or memory overflows...

Yes, well, in my case, I go through a dedicated server with multi-hop
sessions and set a prefix limit of 25 or so so I don't get bombarded
with 5 billion /32 routes and don't send those routes upstream. (I try
to play nice when possible.) I expect that the upstreams have various
defense mechanisms of their own to protect them against me
misconfiguring my boxes as well. (It only makes sense..)

> In case #2, presumably the blackhole community takes precedence, so if a
> customer is mistakenly readvertising their multihome provider's table
> with a 666 tag, all of the upstream providers might be blackholing the
> majority of their non-customer routes.

If the customer does themselves in, thats not something I can really
protect against.

> Non-automatic tying of customer blackholes to upstream or peer
> blackholes is a powerful tool to improve the stability of the net as a
> whole.

Yes, but far too slow when you're getting DOSd off the face of several
planets.

---
Wayne Bouchard
[email protected]