Re: Blackhole Routes

  • From: Erik Haagsman
  • Date: Thu Sep 30 10:36:48 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 15:45, Robert A. Hayden wrote:
> There are mechanisms to do it using eBGP and communities as well which I'm
> sure most on this list are more familiar with.
>
> Think of blackholing as a way to surgically remove a specific IP from your
> network, without having to deal with pushing ACLs into multiple entry
> points.  At least that's what it accomplishes for us.

And perhaps more importantly, when using eBGP blackholing communities,
without DDoS traffic hitting your ingress bandwidth from your upstreams.
ACL's can only filter traffic that's already at your edge, whereas
blackholing allows your upstream to filter it for you throughout his
network, reducing the risk of congested links.

Cheers,

--
---
Erik Haagsman