Re: Blackhole Routes

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Thu Sep 30 03:01:32 2004

Abhishek Verma wrote:

There are ways to add static routes that can be blackholed. I can understand the utility of such routes if those are installed in my forwarding table. What bewilders me is why would anyone want to advertise "blackhole" routes using say, BGP?

Is it only to prevent some sort of DoS attacks or are there other uses
also of advertising black hole routes?

Look at the way the MAPS RBL started.

Anybody else who trusts your judgement of what traffic to blackhole can take a bgp feed of the blackhole routes and use it.