Re: Open-Source Network Management Tools

  • From: Martin
  • Date: Wed Sep 29 23:06:46 2004

$quoted_author = "[email protected]" ;

> The one item I've found missing in the open source NMS tools I've
> examined is functional and aesthetically pleasing mapping, i.e. the big
> picture network map with ability to drill down.
>
> If anyone has found a nifty solution for this please let me know!

http://nodemap.internode.on.net/

"Internode Nodemap performs SNMP queries against network devices to
determine the status of network links in complicated networks.

Using the results of those probes, Nodemap produces visualizations to
convey the "holistic" state of the network. A "drill-down" user
interface is provided which permits detailed link-by-link status
information to be presented at low-levels, with abstracted
summarizations available at higher levels. This enables network
operations staff to determine the current state of a network with a
single glance, without regard to topology complications or the number of
devices on the network.

Using Nodemap, network support staff can be armed with enough
information to diagnose (or dismiss!) performance complaints without
needing to know every last detail about the way the network is set up.
Nodemap is also useful for tracking the flow of DoS packets through
complex networks."

cheers
marty

--
You need only two tools, WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.