Re: Cisco moves even more to china.

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Sat Sep 25 04:46:04 2004

This race exists, because American employees keeps many unnecessary
expenses, making local workforce
very expensive. In reality, even if people in India or Russia will have the
same life level as in USA, they will cost 2 - 3 times less.

There are many core reasons, driving work costs up and workforce offshore.
(1) Number 1 - LIABILITY and LAWERS. It became anecdote for the all world
around. Some girl in NY failed near the train - and company pay her $24M
dollars for _future lost_. My friends closed boat rental because of
liability costs are too high. Palo Alto Hospital pay to the mother many
millions because _she believe they did not do their best..._. Who pay it
all - Hospitals, transport companies, rentals? Not, it is paid by customers,
consumers (I do not want to revert liability to the doctor, but I am forced
to pay for others who can claim liability). lawyers are doing nothing, they
just pull money from others and drive costs high - and it drives workforce
offshore.

(2) Number 2 - landlords and real estate costs. Who pay for the homes
($500,000 here and $1,000,000 in Santa Barbara) - homeowners? Not,
employers -> consumers. I can live in Moscow paying $300 / month for the
apartment, I can not live here paying less than $1,000 for apartment. Who
pay it? Employers, at the end.

This is main driving engine. No one want to outsource (with exceptions, of
course - if you are from country A, you will likely outsource engineering to
country A) - it is much more convenient to have a local workforce vs.
remote. But if call center agent pays to the lawyers, pays for liabilities,
pays $2K/month for the rent here -  and the same agent in India pay $200 ,
no liabilities (because smart people are responsible for themselves, because
_coffee is hot, and train is dangerous_), no huge lawyers costs, no huge
payments to licensed doctors  (while many unlicensed can not get a job, and
many do not take this career because of huge liabilities) - employer have
not other chance than outsourcing. Smart employers keeps core team local and
outsource utilities, technical jobs, mass programming etc; other outsource
everything and then die, but no one have a chance to survive, paying this
liabilities, rentals and so on, when competitors are not doing it.