Re: Cisco moves even more to china.

  • From: Paul Jakma
  • Date: Fri Sep 24 14:44:22 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Robin Lynn Frank wrote:

This race exists because of imbalances in prosperity in world.

This race exists because governments beholden to corporate interests,
permit it to exist.

No, with free trade, it exists because of imbalance.

Unless of course you are completely against free trade, and hence blame the government for not tariffing the problem out of existence - which of course means you end-up paying more for your clothes, food, oil, computers, etc. Which means growth in your economy slows down, your stocks dont do as well, etc...

A US company that sacrifices the welfare of US workers for the sake of its bottom line, or to curry favor with a foreign government, is not one I care to do business with.

See Suresh's post, what do you do for clothes?

BTW, I work for an American technology company. I'm probably doing a job that would otherwise be done by an American (or, at least, a US resident, good few of my colleagues in the US are not of american origin), and I'm probably doing it for a lower salary than an american would - and that's despite fact that cost of living in my country is at least comparable to that in the USA (if possibly even slightly higher).

But think to yourself, what happens to the profits made by american multinational, US parented, companies?

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	[email protected]	[email protected]	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: