RE: APNIC Privacy of customer assignment records - implementation update

  • From: Matthew Kaufman
  • Date: Thu Sep 23 18:37:30 2004

Ok, I'll bite...

I find the idea that an ISP must publish customer information offensive.
There is no reason why a guy who wants to get a T-1 into his house and a /24
to support all the stuff he's doing at home should be forced to publish his
full name and home address to the world (or worse, should have that
information published to the world by his ISP without his knowledge).

Didn't we already have this discussion back when it was about static /32s,
/29s, and the like? And didn't those people get to keep their privacy?

You can always track down the actual registrant and talk to them if you have
a problem, and as has already been pointed out, they're a lot more likely to
respond than the person listed in the assignment record.

Believing that the "spam problem" would be solved if only the source IP
addresses of the spam could be tracked to a physical address is a fallacy
anyway.

Matthew Kaufman
[email protected]

Ps. The legitimate business reason of trying to keep your customer list
private so your competitors don't spend all day calling your customers
should apply too, but I'm a lot less worried about that than the simple
privacy issues for the end users.