Re: APNIC Privacy of customer assignment records - implementation update

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Thu Sep 23 17:03:51 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Matt Ghali wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:19:19 +1000, George Michaelson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > This is an important announcement on the implementation of APNIC
> > approved proposal prop-007-v001 regarding privacy of customer assignment
> > records. The proposal document, presentation, minutes, and discussion
> > are available at:
> >
> >      http://www.apnic.net/docs/policy/proposals/prop-007-v001.html
>
> Does anyone else find this as offensive as I do?

Yes.

And worst of all similar proposal is under discussion at ARIN, see
  http://www.arin.net/policy/2004_6.html
So if you don't want the same unaccountability problem for ARIN, join
ppml mail list and let argue against it.

My own view is that this will make it a lot easier for spammers to get
away with their works and easier for them to move from one isp to another.

At the same time reassignment information is used by me and some others
for geographical mapping of ip space and this will make harm this
research activity as well. So if you're involved in something similar
you may want to speak up about it as well.

---
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
[email protected]