Re: [nanog] Re: The worst abuse e-mail ever, sverige.net

  • From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
  • Date: Thu Sep 23 11:01:31 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Lars-Johan Liman wrote:

[email protected]:
Correction, the world *can't* let you be a well functioning
exception.
People always scream 'no censorship', but there is only that many more
mail servers and preprocessing machines you can throw at a $20/month
account.

Hmm. "You get what you pay for.", you mean? I can

If you mean that if I pay enough money, I can get a DSL (or even
leased line) service with fixed IP address, and proper rDNS, that is
not filtered by recipient MTAs. Sure. I probably could -
theoretically.

the real question is, how much money is it worth it for you. But
don't put to blame on us for not adding another rack of mailservers
so people like you can get their mail out.

I'm opposed to marketing systems that actively (means it costs them money) put in restrictions in systems to make me pay more to have them remove it again.

It's not worth the 5-fold amount that they will charge me, but if I
can't use the 'net propersly, it might not be worth connecting to at
all, so they'll lose me as customer.

One port blocked is not much to quarrel over in practice, but this is
a trend. Mail goes first. Web comes next ("we funnel all your web
traffic through our cache"). VOIP is around the corner. It's like a
phone system where the won't let you call anyone on the phone
system. "If you want to call to this part of the world, you will have
to call through our listening station, and if you don't want to do
that, you can buy our premium service for $200 per minute." Sorry, it
doesn't strike me as tempting at all.

If that's the case, then you learn to rise above it with tunneling, IPSEC, VPN or any of a number of technologies that have been around for the past ten years. And yes, this requires a box on the outside. We're in the era of the $50 a month dedicated server, here. If you're trying to put a commercial grade service on a consumer grade line, deal with it.

This is getting really far off-topic at this point. We're clear people are of two opinions on things, and nobody's going to change their mind.

Anyone care to let it rest?

-Dan

--

"A mother can be an inspiration to her little son, change his thoughts,
his mind, his life, just with her gentle hum."

-No Doubt, "Different People", from "Tragic Kingdom"

--------Dan Mahoney-------- Techie, Sysadmin, WebGeek Gushi on efnet/undernet IRC ICQ: 13735144 AIM: LarpGM Site: http://www.gushi.org ---------------------------