Re: The worst abuse e-mail ever, sverige.net

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Sep 22 12:37:13 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 12:06 PM, John Curran wrote:

At 4:51 PM +0100 9/22/04, Randy Bush wrote:

in the north american culture, this is usually termed "guilty until proven innocent," and generally discouraged. perhaps we should not deprive the customer of rights/services until they have been shown to have abused them?

I am *so* happy that the power grid doesn't operate this way... fuses and circuit breakers are there in your home, the pedestal, and the pole for good reason. Call your power company if you want to upgrade *and* can demonstrate appropriate certified electrical work in advance.

I'm *so* happy the sidewalks don't operate this way. Can you imagine asking for permission every time you wanted to cross the street? And being _licensed_ for it?

That was not a commentary on whether we should or should not block port 25. I _am_ saying we should not use analogies to justify it one way or the other, since this is really a rather new, different thing. (BTW: That includes the cultural thing Randy said too, although I am an American and absolutely identify with what he said.)

We've done pretty well in the past letting each operator decide on their own about new ideas, and the majority can ostracize the bad apples. Then again, I did say this is new, and I meant it, so perhaps even past Internet experience might not be enough....

There, I think I've said absolutely nothing, so I'm right in keeping with this thread in general. Back to your regularly scheduled flame fest. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick