Re: FW: The worst abuse e-mail ever, sverige.net

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Wed Sep 22 09:59:39 2004

on Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 10:16:41AM +0200, Lars-Johan Liman wrote:

> I cannot agree to the "block port 25" line of action.
>
> I am a Unix sysadmin, with 15 years of experience as sendmail and DNS
> expert. I have a DSL line at home, with static IP, and generic rDNS
> provided by my ISP. Behind it I have a serious Unix server, configured
> to roughly the same standard that I use at work.

Congrats. Ask your ISP for non-generic rDNS, in your domain, so I know
where to send the abuse reports.

> I know enough about this business to not trust my ISP with anything
> more than moving packets to and from my server (and even that is
> streching it ;-). I don't want to pay for their lousy mail service,
> I can do it better myself.
>
> And you don't want to let me?

I don't mind at all. Get rDNS that provides a clue that you have a clue,
and I'm happy as all get out to accept mail from you. Otherwise, you're
functionally identical to fifty million spam zombies, as far as I have
time to determine.

Understand me? You're the /rare exception/.

> Now, *why* should *I* be punished because the rest of my neighbours
> have chosen to jump into the commercial bed of an operating system
> that is a walking invitation to cracking?

Because that's how things are today. You're a 1-in-50-million chance,
as far as I can tell from my mail server.

<snip unhelpful Internet architecture lesson>

--
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/web_designer.html       join us!
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!