Re: RE: NYSE

  • From: sgorman1
  • Date: Tue Sep 21 10:42:07 2004

There are a few things about the SFTI set up that are a bit baffling to me.  From their website:

SFTI carries IP traffic over a topology of redundant, self-healing fiber-optic rings, completely independent of all other telco circuits and conduits. SFTI's design is straightforward, consolidating traffic into fewer pipes, which minimizes complexity and reduces the number of potential points of failure.

What does "completely independent of all other telco circuits and conduits" mean?  Did they get their very own "new" right of ways dug out.  A certain government report listed their physical fiber provider, and they certainly are not new right of ways.  Further, I'm a bit baffled how reducing the number of pipes reduces the number of potential points of failure.  Usually fewer pipes means less diversity.  A ring is nice till someone hits it in two places.  I also wonder how many of these rings are collapsed in a single conduit.  I hope someone over there is asking tough questions and are following up on getting a second physical fiber provider.  I'd recommend not advertising who it this time either.