Re: SkyCache/Cidera replacement?

  • From: jason
  • Date: Mon Sep 20 15:36:04 2004

> Hadn't it gotten to the point shortly before Cidera folded that the
> satellite bandwidth was so insufficient for a "full feed" that it was of
> questionable value?...or was it still fine if you wanted a usenet feed
> with no binaries?

Probably.  Yes.

IIRC, a full feed of usenet (3 years ago) was approx 250GB+ per day.  The
overwhelming majority of that was multi-part binaries.  Cut them out and
you should have plenty of room across the transponder, which (again, 3
years ago) was capable of DS3 capacity.

I haven't had the misfortune of dealing with usenet feeds since then, so
I'm unfamiliar with the requirements of nntp peering today.

-J.