Re: BGP Load Sharing

  • From: Olivier Bonaventure
  • Date: Mon Sep 20 05:55:17 2004

Chris,

> I am hoping to learn from the great pool of experience on this list.
>
> We currently have 2 OC3 connections going to 2 seperate providers.  We
> are using netflow statistics to balance our traffic flows (which
> outgoing is our major concern).  Flow tools, snmp output, some custom
> scripts, and some bgp weighting does the trick.

For his Ph.D. thesis, Steve Uhlig developped and evaluated by
simulations several techniques to solve this problem. You can find
details about those techniques in his thesis :

http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~suh/thesis.ps.gz

A description of these techniques is expected to appear soon in ACM
Computer Communication Review.

The techniques were evaluated by using simulations performed with perl
scripts on Netflow traces. The perl scripts are also available from
Steve's website :
http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~suh

In parallel to this work, we are developping an open source traffic
engineering toolbox ( http://totem.info.ucl.ac.be ). If there is
interest from network operators, we could place some of the scripts
developped by Steve in the toolbox.

Best regards,

Olivier Bonaventure
--