Re: Open-Source Network Management Tools

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Fri Sep 17 16:21:49 2004

Nothing good exists (I tried all opensource I could find). We are developing
(improving) our scripts, and I hope to make it the same quality as CCR or
snmpstat and post on the sourceforge, but now it is just
set of scripts - on one server, and MySQL database + set of scripts - on
another, without documentatikn etc.

Problem is that it should not be simple filterts; system should:
- assign recipients to the host;
- allow user to set up temporary BLACK and WHILE filters;
- send alert first time, when it see something, and do not send it if
messages are repeated (until time expired or number of messages will be to
great);
- allows filkters such as _too many messages of this kind_ or _logfile size
too big_;
- etc etc.

We have CA (99% junk!) and tried ProactiveNetwork (very good, but syslog and
eventlog analizers are still very primitive). I do not need software _write
your own filters_, I need written filters, it is difference.

(Anyway, we post all syslogs on monitoring web, in a few groups:
- all todays messages in a big heap;
- access logs;
- errors;
- logs per host;

all logs are saved separately for every date (we generate web links every
night, so making unnecessary file rotation) and are gzipped after some time.
As a result, I have ull 2 years history of syslog on the web, easy to
analyze, and have 'search' script allowing to find anything.