RE: Multi-link Frame Relay OR Load Balancing

  • From: Rump Bryant
  • Date: Fri Sep 17 07:50:58 2004

3 quick notes--

Neither MLFR/FRF.16 (MCI's implementation) nor the corresponding CPE require
external DSUs.  The service may utilize internal DSUs (whether on Cisco CPE
or Tasman) just as a tiered/fractional DS3 would.

ATM-IMA could be considered wasteful of bandwidth as you would have to live
with the ATM cell tax reducing usable bandwidth by about 25%.  FRF.16 allows
for much lower overhead through frame relay encapsulation.  FRF.16 also
allows for losing circuits within a bundle or even designating a threshold
number of circuits for when to consider a link "down" (useful in failover
scenarios).

Another minor point is that DS3s are tiered by many large providers through
timing at the provider edge DSU/linecard vs. CIR (even though FR encaps may
be used).

Given all that, a fraction DS3 may still be a better option if the telco
loop is reasonable...

Bryant Rump
Advanced Internetworking
Booz Allen Hamilton