Network Configuration Management Practices

  • From: Carl W.Kalbfleisch
  • Date: Tue Sep 14 16:58:19 2004

Hi,

I am doing some independent research on Network Configuration Management Practices. I am trying to get information from service providers and enterprises on how they handle this function. I have the following specific questions:

1) What configuration issues most affect the performance and reliability of your network?

2) What are you doing to alleviate these problems?

3) What software are you using to manage network configurations for your routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, servers, etc? Do you use home grown scripts? Or do you use commercial applications (if so, which ones)

4) Does your configuration management software integrate with your network fault and performance management system? If so, what level of integration do you have? If not, is this integration something you desire?

5) What functions are you most lacking in your configuration management software tools?

Any response and input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

--
Carl W. Kalbfleisch