Re: Upcoming NANOG & ARIN Meetings

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Tue Sep 14 13:51:16 2004

>>> Can someone shed some light for me on the ARIN meetings?  I
>>> guess I want to know if it worth attending?
>>
>> wanna watch sausage being made?  but the arin sausage factory
>> has become far less scary than apnic's or ripe's, by a long
>> shot.
>
> In either case, the ARIN process is generally pretty open. They
> have always been receptive to member input and, although it does
> have a slight resemblance to the legislative process, it's a lot
> closer to Pavetti Meats (local sausage maker in the town I grew
> up in) than to Oscar Mayer.
>
> I have always found the meet interesting and worth attending, but
> I'll take the aroma of good Italian sausage if I have to make a
> choice. :-)

indeed.  my intent was to characterize the process and to
compliment it.  arin has come a loooong way; much credit to ray
plzak.

process at the intersection of policy and technology is difficult.
openness is important, but so is prudent engineering.  arin has
found a far better balance than some other notable rirs.

randy