Re: Ivan damage...

  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
  • Date: Tue Sep 14 03:06:36 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:42:26PM -0700,
 Gary E. Miller <[email protected]> wrote
 a message of 25 lines which said:

> Not been able to reach my machines in Jamaica.  The Kingston Daily
> Gleaner is back up with text only pages.  They report BOTH the
> primary and secondary submarine cables to Jamaica are severed:

And the name servers are all in Jamaica (IANA lists other name servers
but they are in lame delegation) so the TLD disappeared as well.

~ % check_soa jm
There is no name server running on ns.jm
There was no response from ns.utechjamaica.edu.jm
There was no response from ns.utech.edu.jm
There was no response from ns.cast.edu.jm

RFC 2182, 3.1 :

   Secondary servers must be placed at both topologically and
   geographically dispersed locations on the Internet, to minimise the
   likelihood of a single failure disabling all of them.

And it is quite easy to get a remote secondary for a TLD (RIPE-NCC,
ISC, EP, AFNIC, etc). Too bad it was not done.