Gb ethernet interface keeping dropping packet in ingress

  • From: Joe Shen
  • Date: Mon Sep 13 23:11:16 2004

Hi,

I'm using Harbour 10G lay3 switch which interconnects
a Catalyst6509 and a Foundry switch. the
interconnecting lines are all 1Gbps ethernet (1000Gb
LX).

Catalyst6509----Harbour 10G switch----Foundry
Switch---Firewall

the firewall and harbour interconnect at layer 3.

We noticed there is something abnormal on link between
10G switch and Foundry switch:

1. The load on that 1Gbps link may decrease sharply
from 110Mbps to 20Mbps and come back, the frequency
and occuring time is random.

2. we monitoring connection to Firewall interface by
'ping' with twenty 50byte packets every 20 seconds,
and there is packet loss and end-to-end latency
increase around the time when link load decreases
sharply.

3. on Harbour switch, the interface counter always
shows there is "Dropped Packets on Ingress" on
interface connecting foundry and cisco, and the number
increase continuously.

I've disable auto-negotiation and flow-control on
between 10G switch and Foundry switch, firewall
interface.

What's maybe the possible reason for problem above?

thanks  in advance.

Joe