Re: Provider/NAP filtering policies

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Mon Sep 13 13:54:44 2004

      On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 [email protected] wrote:
    > I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of provider/NAP
    > prefix filtering policies.  Most important to me is UU and Cogent, but a
    > concise listing of notables would be much appreciated.

Just to clarify, NAPs or Internet exchanges are typically (like more than
99% of the time) layer-2 services, which don't pay attention to or care
about layer-3 things like IP prefixes.  A few have policies regarding what
participants should filter on their own behalf, but of the four hundered
odd exchanges currently operating out there, I don't know of any which
filter prefixes themselves.

Virtually all _providers_ over a certain size filter heavily, of course,
and that's probably the portion of your question you'll get more (and more
useful) answers to.

                                -Bill