Re: Sender-ID denied by IETF?

  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
  • Date: Mon Sep 13 11:15:25 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:58:13AM -0400,
 Jeff Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote
 a message of 19 lines which said:

> Top story on Slashdot:
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/09/13/1317238.shtml?tid=172&tid=95&tid=218

Warning: this is probably non-operational content. I suggest to move
the discussion in private or on the MARID Working Group mailing list.

>  Zocalo writes "The MARID working group at the IETF responsible for
> deciding on which extensions to SMTP will be used to try and prevent
> spoofing of the sender has made their decision. At issue was whether
> Microsoft's patent encumbered Sender-ID would be eligable for
> inclusion in an Internet standard. An initial analysis of the text
> of their decision, available here with a brief analysis, would
> suggest not.

This is heavily simplified (the PRA algorithm was not rejected).

> Unless Microsoft is going to make any dramatic concessions out of
> desperation, that pretty much clears the way for Meng Wong's Classic
> SPF to become the standard and hopefully make Joe-Jobs at thing of the
> past."

This is also either wishful thinking or pure disinformation.

For those who want the facts, see:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg04673.html

co-chair judgment of consensus related to last call period of
23-Aug-2004 to 10-Sept-2004