Re: 30 Gmail Invites

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Sat Sep 11 23:50:48 2004

At 10:54 PM 9/11/2004, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message <[email protected]>, Paul Vixie writes:

>i still can't understand why anyone would want a gmail account, free or not.
>
>not just "anyone on nanog".  anyone, anywhere, ever.  the reasons "why not"
>are compelling enough.  but there are no counterbalancing reasons "why to",
>either compelling or otherwise.

I agree.  The privacy implications are *really* scary.  (And they're
sufficiently worse for non-subscribers that I've contemplated blocking
gmail-bound messages from my (personal) systems.)

And here I thought I was the only one to seriously consider blocking gmail (to and from) because of the security implications.

As for the invites, I find it interesting just how many folks have been taken in by their very clever marketing scheme that's gotten lots of smart people to spamvertise gmail (and orkut for that matter). I agree with Paul Vixie in not seeing the attraction at all.