Re: "Intel calls for Internet overhaul"

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Thu Sep 09 16:52:27 2004

On 9/9/04 4:21 PM, "Petri Helenius" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Paul Vixie wrote:
>
>> update SAN FRANCISCO--The Internet needs to be upgraded with a new layer
>> of abilities that will deal with imminent problems of capacity, security
>> and reliability, Intel Chief Technology Officer Pat Gelsinger said
>> Thursday.
>>

> There is confusion in the air about the roles of "hosts" and "network" here?
>
> Pete

It has become trendy, in some circles, to lament the Internet's poor
performance/congestion/non-deterministic nature/lack of security/<insert
issue here>. After firmly denouncing the Internet, the company or individual
then touts their product, which will fix/replace/augment the Internet.

Truth usually doesn't factor into the denunciation, which is where you get
things like the recent conference on "Preventing the Internet Meltdown" -
(http://www.pfir.org/meltdown), which suggested that some sort of electronic
catastrophe is, dare we hope, imminent.

In the mean time, I've decided to enjoy the Internet in the precious little
time it has left. (yes, that was sarcasm)

--
Daniel Golding
Network and Telecommunications Strategies