Re: ISP Policies

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Thu Sep 09 14:02:52 2004

At 11:04 AM +0530 9/9/04, Tulip Rasputin wrote:
Hi Chris,

Or, you just don't want to send traffic through Bill Manning's ASN because
you dislike his hawiian T-Shirt Policy? There are probably a few hundred
reasosn why you'd avoid an ASN... In general though I'd think that like
Michel said: "It's a pain and its doing something that bgp should do for
you without lots of messing about"

That's why i explicitly asked for some "social/political/etc." reasons where an ISP may not want his traffic to traverse some particular AS number(s). Something which is beyond BGP to determine as of now ! :-)

I believe with the responses that i received both on the list and offline, that it is indeed quite normal for ISPs to filter routes based on the AS Paths for 'other' reasons. Reasons, quite beyond BGP as a protocol to handle! And this can happen, when an ISP doesnt want its traffic to traverse some AS(es).

Thanks,
Tulip

IIRC, at some long ago time, there was a Canadian policy, derived from a policy on telco transit, that two Canadian providers could not use transit through the USA to get to one another. This is long gone.

I can't say if it is still the case, but, at one point, the PRC would drop routes that used Taiwan as transit.