Re: Are AOL's MXs mass rejecting anyone else's emails?

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Tue Sep 07 11:52:29 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> And you will also get random emails that your users have sent to AOL users,
> who then click on "Report as spam" seemingly at random.
>
> I've received Spam reports on e-mail asking when someone's kids should be
> picked up at school, giving directions for a job interview, CONGRATULATING
> that same person on being accepted for the job, and in once case received
> a 'spam complaint' on every mail my user sent as part of a conversation.

Yeah...there's a certain amount of GIGO since the scomp system relies on
the lusers to decide what's spam and what's not...but that's not a serious
problem.  IME, AOL won't block you unless you're getting thousands of
scomp complaints/day and seem to be ignoring them.  A handful of bogus
ones are just a few messages your abuse people can delete when they see
the mail appears to not really be spam.

If they're going to block us, I'd much rather be signed up for scomp and
be able to see that abuse fell asleep and ignored 5k complaints/day for a
few days, and therefore understand why we're being blocked than have to
call them and wait a week for a callback to possibly find out why we're
blocked.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |