Re: Internet speed report...

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Mon Sep 06 16:26:53 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Simon Leinen wrote:

> As I said, it would be great if it were possible to build fast networks
> with modest buffers, and use end-to-end (TCP) improvements to fill the
> "needs" of the Petabyte/Internet2 Land Speed Record crowd.

I do believe that the high-speed (more than 10% of core network speed) TCP
connection is almost exclusive to the research/academic community.

I think you're on the right track in the thoughts to develop a new TCP
implementation solely for the application you describe above, and that it
makes more economic sense to do this than to build with the quite a lot
more expensive equipment with larger buffers.

I guess the cost of developing a tweaked TCP protocol would be in the
neighbourhood of the cost of a couple of OC192 linecards for the GSR :/

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]