Re: Spammers Skirt IP Authentication Attempts

  • From: Paul Jakma
  • Date: Mon Sep 06 13:51:12 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Peter Corlett wrote:

I'm an advocate of SPF, but not because it's the magic bullet that stops spam. It does however allow innocent domains to say "no, I didn't send that" and thus avoid the double-bounced backwash from a spammer forging their domain as the sender.

Envelope "cookie" schemes on outbound email, like SRS, can achieve that, far better (*you* know whether the bounce is legit, rather than relying on the bouncer to do the checking) and without the collateral damage of SPF.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	[email protected]	[email protected]	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:

Film at 11:00.