Re: Spammers Skirt IP Authentication Attempts

  • From: Will Yardley
  • Date: Mon Sep 06 08:36:25 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 12:04:45PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Henry Linneweh <[email protected]> wrote:

> > This is not a good beginning
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1642848,00.asp

> I'm an advocate of SPF, but not because it's the magic bullet that
> stops spam. It does however allow innocent domains to say "no, I
> didn't send that" and thus avoid the double-bounced backwash from a
> spammer forging their domain as the sender.

It's also a step towards making domain-based whitelists / blacklists
more practical (and, as pointed out recently on spam-l, which might be a
more appropriate place for this discussion, makes more aggressive
filtering of non-whitelisted domains and domains without SPF records
more possible).

It should hopefully help with viruses that forge the sender-address and
should help reduce bouncebacks due to spam and viruses with forged
sender addresses. It can help make phishing scams more difficult to pull
off. It makes it easier for someone to say "this domain will NEVER send
any legitimate email traffic".

Will spammers register tons of new domains, setting up SPF for each?
Probably. Will they start spoofing other domains hosted by the same
provider? . Will they register "look-alike" domains? Will viruses get
smarter, and start sending themselves out via providers' SMTP servers?
Probably. But all of these cases are still an improvement over the
current situation, and help make life easier for existing email
filtering / processing tools.

I don't personally believe that "[s]pam as a technical problem is solved
by SPF"[1], but I do think it has the potential to reduce some existing
problems with email (some of which are related to spam). I'm cautiously
optimistic that it /may/ be a good thing.

Victor Duchovni made some interesting points about SPF on spam-l that
are worth checking out if you can access the archives.

Some excerpts (please edit attributions if you're quoting / replying to
this - I didn't write this):

 What everyone is forgetting is that the biggest proponents of SPF are
 large mailbox providers, and their real motivation is actually not so
 much deterring spam, but lowering the administrative cost of
 maintaining white-lists!

 White-listing IP addresses loses, because legitimate bulk mailers (and
 some no so legitimate ones, but that is not the point) who are
 whitelisted by the ISPs occasionally move their outbound relays to new
 address pools.  Also some providers host multiple sender domains, some
 that one wants to whitelist and some that one does not.

 [...]

 This does nothing to block spam, this merely decentralizes whitelist
 management. With more up-to-date (reliable?) whitelists, one can afford
 to spend more resources on aggressive filters of mail that is not
 white-listed, and not worry as much about false positives.

[1] http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200401/msg00034.html

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."