Re: Internet speed report...

  • From: Michael . Dillon
  • Date: Mon Sep 06 05:22:16 2004

> most recently, Guido Appenzeller, Isaac Keslassy and Nick McKeown have
> written a paper that they presented at SIGCOMM 2004 about "sizing router

> buffers" that is very informative and goes against the grain of the
amount
> of buffering required in routers/switches.

In the paper
http://klamath.stanford.edu/~keslassy/download/tr04_hpng_060800_sizing.pdf
they state as follows:
-----------------
While we have evidence that buffers
can be made smaller, we haven't tested the hypothesis
in a real operational network. It is a little difficult
to persuade the operator of a functioning, profitable network
to take the risk and remove 99% of their buffers. But that
has to be the next step, and we see the results presented in
this paper as a first step towards persuading an operator to
try it.

So, has anyone actually tried their buffer sizing rules?

Or do your current buffer sizing rules actually match,
more or less, the sizes that they recommend?

--Michael Dillon