Re: RIPE "Golden Networks" Document ID - 229/210/178

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Sat Sep 04 15:41:22 2004

      On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Alex Bligh wrote:
    > if in a heavily plural anycast domain prefix route changes are more
    > common than "normal" routes (albeit without - dampening aside -
    > affecting reachability), does this mean route dampening
    > disproportionately harms such routes?

This would be an argument in favor of either asking peers to tag
anycast-learned routes no-export, as F-root does, or using anycast
prefixes which are short enough that they won't make it through many
people's filters, and advertising the aggregate from your tunnel-hub
(which is presumed to be stable), as we do.

I suspect that a stand-alone prefix, advertised with equal mask length
from all instances, without no-export, would be relatively more vulnerable
to dampening, as Alex suggests.  Topologically, it appears little
different than a massively peered or massively multi-homed network of
any other sort, as the papers Randy is citing describe.

                                -Bill