Re: RIPE "Golden Networks" Document ID - 229/210/178

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Fri Sep 03 23:52:30 2004

Hi Steve,

Steve Gibbard wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Rodney Joffe wrote:

<snip>

So, it seems to me that there are three questions here:

What is critical infrastructure?  DNS for which domains?  What about other
services?  Google?  Hotmail or Yahoo?  The answer to this presumably
varies considerably from place to place.

What should the providers of critical infrastructure be doing to make sure
their critical infrastructure remains available?

What should network operators be doing to make sure their networks can
access critical infrastructure?

The main question I was asking was actually:

"How many of you who manage BGP speaking networks implement the RIPE "best practices" regarding dampening parameters for so-called "golden networks"?

So, while I know your analysis and suggestions are important, this list suffers sufficiently from the "rathole" syndrome for me to respectfully move it back on subject. My primary question was quite simple, and most of the responses I have had have been just as simple and concise.

For those who care, based on responses and some analysis, it appears that very few networks do follow the ripe-229 recommendations regarding "golden networks", including, oddly enough, parts of RIPE itself.

Thanks to those who did respond.

/rlj