Re: RIPE "Golden Networks" Document ID - 229/210/178

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Fri Sep 03 15:43:14 2004

On Sep 3, 2004, at 10:46 AM, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

Given Network A, which has "golden network" content behind it as described by
the RIPE paper (root and tld data), if the network has some combination of
events that result in all of their announcements to you being dampened by you,
your users can't get "there". For grin's, let's say we're talking about .foo,
one of the larger gtld's.

But .foo is announced from 13 IPs globally, allowing for anycast probably 40
nodes. If gtld-A has an incident it may be a good thing to dampen it from the
internet as it may not be reachable, the other 12 gtlds will be able to serve

Unless you're suggesting *all* the gtlds are flapping at once?

Sorry. I thought I made that clear, in that "if the network has some combination of events that result in all of their announcements to you being dampened by you". I am not talking about events that happen all of the time, where one of 13 hiccups. .foo may have 13 IPs but they have two upstream providers, and the event causes all of their routes to flap.

Rodney Joffe CenterGate Research Group, LLC http://www.centergate.com "Technology so advanced, even WE don't understand it"(R)