Re: RIPE "Golden Networks" Document ID - 229/210/178

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Fri Sep 03 13:51:19 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Rodney Joffe wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2004, at 2:58 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>
> >> If you don't implement ripe-229, why not?
> >
> > because the golden address space stuff is stupid
> >

> OK. I'll bite...
>
> Given Network A, which has "golden network" content behind it as described by
> the RIPE paper (root and tld data), if the network has some combination of
> events that result in all of their announcements to you being dampened by you,
> your users can't get "there". For grin's, let's say we're talking about .foo,
> one of the larger gtld's.

But .foo is announced from 13 IPs globally, allowing for anycast probably 40
nodes. If gtld-A has an incident it may be a good thing to dampen it from the
internet as it may not be reachable, the other 12 gtlds will be able to serve

Unless you're suggesting *all* the gtlds are flapping at once?

Steve