Re: OT- need a new GSM provider

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Thu Sep 02 19:50:50 2004
On 2 Sep 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:

> Now that AT&T has followed T-Mobile's example by screwing the pooch on my
> cell phone billing, and I've flung yet another SIM-locked Motorola V600
> out the window of yet another moving vehicle, and am about to enter into
> another year long "you violated the agreement first" small claims battle,

Been there. The court saga for only few $$$ is usually not worth your time
and any collection efforts for contested cellphone (and most other telco)
charges and contracts can be stopped with couple properly written letters
(its their job to go after you in court, not yours).

> I need a new GSM provider.  I'm going to buy an unlocked tri-band GSM this
> time.
>
> Anybody had notable (good or bad) billing and/or customer service
> experiences with Voicestream or any other GSM provider with native coverage
> in the San Francisco Bay Area?

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_us.shtml

But as far as I know T-Mobile and ATT are the only two nationwide GSM
providirs (Cingular too, but I hear it will soon be same as ATT).

In my opinion GSM is really overrated and not seriously well deployed in US,
consider CDMA providers, at least internet access would be faster
(and typically cheaper) if you're using smartphone.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks