Re: RIPE "Golden Networks" Document ID - 229/210/178

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Thu Sep 02 12:53:22 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:44:34AM -0700, Rodney Joffe wrote:
> See: http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/routeflap-damping.html
> and
> http://www.qorbit.net/documents/golden-networks (thanks, Steve!)
>
> If you do, what parameters do you use, or do you not dampen the "golden
> networks" at all?
>
> If you don't implement ripe-229, why not?
>
> Note: A *significant* number of networks appear to *not* follow
> ripe-229 guidelines at all.

        I think the real quesiton is:

        Based on the increased performance of routers these days..
most people running BGP aren't using a 2500 or AGS+ anymore, or at least
not getting a full routing table on them.

        Is bgp dampening really necessary anymore?  Obviously we should
dampen people that flap a high number of times in an hour, but the vast
majority of the internet operates in a state where dampening  causes more
pain than benifit, imho.

	- jared