Re: DNS Anycast as traffic optimizer?

  • From: Daniel Karrenberg
  • Date: Thu Sep 02 04:31:09 2004

On 01.09 15:18, Matt Larson wrote:

> I can give you one data point: VeriSign anycasts j.root-servers.net
> from all the same locations (minus one) where the com/net
> authoritative servers (i.e., *.gtld-servers.net) are located.  An
> informal examination of query rates among all the J root instances
> (traffic distribution via BGP) vs. query rates among all the com/net
> servers (traffic distribution via iterative resolver algorithms, which
> means round trip time in the case of BIND and Microsoft) shows much
> more even distribution when the iterative resolvers get to pick
> vs. BGP.  ....
>
> For what it's worth,

Thanks Matt for sharing this observation.

Based on my own informal observations this has to be taken with a truck
load of NaCl. The load characteristics of TLD servers and root
servers are vastly different.  The root servers usually get large
amounts of (bogus) load from relatively few sources whereas the sources
of load for TLD servers are more evenly distributed to start with.

Daniel