RE: Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

  • From: Ted Fischer
  • Date: Tue Aug 31 12:52:45 2004

Big Snip ...

At 07:03 PM 8/30/2004, Sean Donlan postualted:
Is the problem P2P?  Or is the problem copyright infringement?
Thank you, Sean.

What does Peer-to-Peer mean, anyway. Unfortunately, lots of things.

One could argue (I've seen a few replies re this subject hinting around this definition) that the entire Internet works because of the Peer-to-Peer concept. After all, if I am on a 100MBs Ethernet and want to communicate directly with another NIC on MY ethernet, then we must be Peer at Layer 1.

Is the Peer-to-Peer ethernet network a danger?

I would tell her that the benefits of Peer-to-Peer is that this concept allows us to communicate on networks using computers ... Including allowing Senator Feinstein to receive E-Mail replies to her question (after all, isn't SMTP (or X.400 for that matter) Peer-to-Peer at Layer 7?).

Until Senator Feinstein asks a meaningful question, the result will be GIGO.

Ted Fischer