Re: WRED and QoS provisioning in ISP network

  • From: James
  • Date: Tue Aug 31 08:53:59 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 07:27:58PM +0800, Joe Shen wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> We are evaluting whether we should implement DiffServ
> Based e2e QoS provisioning in our network. Someone
> recommend that WRED should be used on each node which
> is setup to send traffic according to
> DSCP/IP_precedence. They disclame that DiffServ+WRED
> is the best solution for current network. But, as I
> know WRED will bias normal TCP flows, while UDP and
> greedy TCP flows(like BT download) will win in
> Bandwidth competition.

x/RED in general is pretty useless in reality for most service providers in my
opinion. It takes a lot of tweakings to get it to optimal ofcourse and its only
efficient in overall TCP and/or congestion managed flows that can back off/drop
down during signs of congestion through packet drop.

On the same token however, RED is probably useful for certain edge routers, on
customer serial interfaces. But again, dependent on the type of traffic customer
does, etc.