RE: Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits ofP2P

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Mon Aug 30 21:52:15 2004

Is the problem P2P?  Or is the problem copyright infringement?

The problem is the U.S. Congress thinking it has control or authority to
legislate anything on the Internet.  At some point, the law is going to
have to recognize that the Internet is an international phenomenon, and,
that localized or national regulations are counterproductive.

In general, I think attempts to legislate the behavior of the internet
are unlikely to have much effect on it's operation other than to make
certain US companies less competitive and to make certain basic
activities more difficult for the average user.

Owen