RE: Definition of P2P (was Feinstein)

  • From: Joe Johnson
  • Date: Mon Aug 30 21:37:08 2004

You're staring in on a good point.  What happens when this backfires,
and they mis-define (or badly define) P2P traffic?  What if it is so
broad that any traffic routed from one point to another is illegal?
What if my dark fiber is against federal law?  Who would fight for or
against that?  Would you shutdown your routers or switches that do P2P
links?

All this hit here in Illinois when the Super DCMA took effect, and it
technically became illegal to use a router in your home (as the Illinois
DCMA restricts the ability to hide the source or destination of any
electronic communication, kinda like NAT).  I certainly didn't pull NAT
off my home or my office connections! I think no one has been called
down (e.g., no one has challenged) on the law, but I could be arrested
at any time for running a basic Netgear router on my broadband at home.

Joe Johnson

Of