RE: Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

  • From: Bora Akyol
  • Date: Mon Aug 30 19:43:52 2004

I think we need to define what P2P is before we can address this.

IMHO, P2P started with NAPSTER, yes before that there was WWW, gopher,
ftp,
files by email, bitnet, x/y/z modem, bbs  (dating myself here),
but the large scale bandwidth usage that is seen started with NAPSTER.

P2P I would define as distributed file sharing with database like search
capabilities. If you define it in this context, the bandwidth
characteristics of P2P is a lot closer (but on a higher scale) than the
bandwidth characteristics of a traditional web surfer. Hence, ADSL in
particular and asymmetric data comm in general hamper P2P.

Bora