Re: Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Aug 30 17:30:16 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Fred Baker wrote:

> I think you just tripped across the difference between a user and an SP.
> SPs don't generally have 28 KBPS dial links between them and their
> upstream, and folks that have 28 KBPS dial uplinks don't generally host
> Akamai servers. Assuming that just because you have effectively-infinite
> bandwidth and effectively-zero delay everyone perforce must enjoy that is a
> bit of a leap...

How is this dealt with in parts of the Internet where 'big pipes' are <
ds3 rate? or even < ds1 rate? Does Akamai or <other content
provider/cacher> put machines in places like: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Guam,
New Guinea ? (some of those might not be completely dependent upon sat
shots for Internet access)

How can large patch providers improve delivery to small-piped peoples of
the world? (or pockets of peoples)

> This kind of a "you're different and therefore wrong" mismatch has made
> complete hash out of quite a variety of discussions concerning user
> experience and user requirements on the Internet. Please listen carefully
> when someone talks about having limited rate access. The assumptions that

It's tough to remember always that there are parts of the Internet
serviced by very small links, entire countries even. Perhaps PCH has some
data about this? Maybe even experience in how these challenges are met in
these areas?

> are obviously true in your (SP) world are completely irrelevant in theirs.
> If you want their opinions - and this opinion was explicitly requested -
> you have to respect them when they are offered, not just bash them as
> different from your experience.

Additionally, is Ms. Feinstein looking for 'US Centric' views on P2P, or
'global' uses/usage? I believe there were some research institutes
(CAIDA/ISC/Merit?) that were doing usage studies of P2P software across
the Internet, perhaps they can shed light on usage patterns or uses of P2P
software across the global Internet?