Re: Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

  • From: Mike Tancsa
  • Date: Mon Aug 30 17:01:10 2004

At 04:12 PM 30/08/2004, Dan Hollis wrote:

yep md5 made the news recently because it's been cracked:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5314533.html
http://www.rtfm.com/movabletype/archives/2004_08.html#001055
Thats a misleading over simplification. A collision being found implies something different than "its cracked." A weakness that was theorized sometime ago has been demonstrated in practice. Finding collisions and altering files in a useful way to produce a duplicate hash are different things. There are FAR bigger security concerns than this one right now IMHO.

I recall even seeing posts about people claiming this meant original data being reconstructed from the checksum! That would be truly amazing since I could reconstruct a 680MB ISO from just 61d38fad42b4037970338636b5e72e5a. Wow!

---Mike

---Mike