Re: FBI bust DDoS 'Mafia'

  • From: James
  • Date: Mon Aug 30 12:06:27 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:21:21AM -0700, John Obi wrote:

> It's not not OT, or about politics.
>
> It's not about they are guilty or not since I Don't
> care.
>
> It's about that "the FBI finally cares, and will bust
> the script kiddies."
>
> This will scare them and will decrease the DDoS
> attacks from now and on.

D/DoS is a fact of life that happens continuously non-stop. FBI intervening
here probably may have certain effect in general atmosphere among the
packet kiddies, but there is no solid data that says DDoS attacks have
decreased.

> So ISPs and NSPs should work more with FBI and such
> parties to decrease the DDoS.

More like, ISP and NSP's should start with things like BCP38/uRPF on their
edge boxes, and start deploying features & systems that assist their customers
in the event of DDoS (e.g. bgp blackhole).

-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                        Network Design, Consulting, IT Outsourcing