Re: Best Practices for Enterprise networks

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Sun Aug 29 19:08:36 2004

On 30-aug-04, at 0:50, Tracy Smith wrote:

Hello. I am tyring to gauge what the Best Practices are for Enterprise network connections to the Internet. Specifically, to NAT or not to NAT? At what point should NAT-ting be performed ... exclusively at the Egress point or at decentralized points? What about firewalling - centralized/decentralized?
Fortunately, I've never been in the position to make such decisions, but I can tell you one thing: if you have multiple connections to the internet, you had better make sure that your NATs and firewalls are equipped to handle the case where you send a packet out through connection A and the reply comes back through connection B.