Re: optics pricing (Re: Weird GigE Media Converter Behavior)

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Aug 29 12:10:17 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Dickson, Brian wrote:

> do, with current-generation chip-production technology. 10Ghz optics are
> old-school lasers, several orders of magnitude larger, much more
> power-hungry, delicate, and in all likelyhood, hand-crafted with low yields.
> They really are that expensive. Just check out the price on 10G transponders
> (eg DWDM equipment) if you don't believe that's the case...

Then why can I purchase 10km 10GE Xenpaks directly from the manufacturer
for under $2000?

> On the other hand, it'd be nice to see a copper 10GBIC, even if its max
> cable length were a few metres. ;-)

There is one. It's called CX4 and has a reach of 15 meters. Cisco sold it
for $600 list price at first but it has now disappeared from the price
list. I don't know why.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4835/products_data_sheet09186a008007cd00.html

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]