10 GE WAN PHY status?

  • From: Stefan Mink
  • Date: Fri Aug 27 15:42:22 2004

Hi,

I'm currently looking into how to best integrate 10G lambda
lines into a network. The two obvious ways are via "native"
SDH/SONET or via 10 GE WAN PHY, but the latter isn't available
on any router platform so far.

What I like with 10GE is that its possible to run a ring
segment via L2-switches on each end and connect to them
via multiple L3-devices. So you can basically run a 10G line with
a redundant pair of routers on each line concurrently and
without any static bandwith partitioning. Am I missing something?

Sine none of the long distance providers I talked with so far
can provide 10 GE LAN PHY as client side interface, I'm
currently looking for L2-switches that can perform this
conversion between LAN and WAN PHY, but I only found the
Nortel Passport and the Force10 E-Series, both AFAIK quite
pricy product lines. Last informations I got about WAN PHY
XENPAKs was that most switch manufacturers can only provide
them sometime in Q1/2005 (but I read the same in an article
on this list about Q1/2004 :] ).

Are there other products I missed? Are there XENPAKs
already available which work with main stream switch
manufacturers although they don't sell them themselves
so far?

Grateful for any pointers or experiences...

   tschuess
             Stefan
--
Stefan Mink, Schlund+Partner AG (AS 8560)
Primary key fingerprint: 389E 5DC9 751F A6EB B974  DC3F 7A1B CF62 F0D4 D2BA